Based on the custom shoe developed specifically for Taylor Phinney to race at the 2012 Giro d’ Italia and Olympic Games, the Empire™ has all the smart, hard-pedaling details of a competitive road shoe, with a classic laced closure.
I have been wanted a laced up road shoe for a while and wanted intrigued with the specific Taylor Phinney creation. Giro helmets and shoes are great quality, innovation and advanced design so with that in mind; I was ready to go old/new school all at the same time with futuristic technology/materials. There are several key designs and benefits of the Giro Empire shoe. The Supernatural fit system gives you the ability to fully customize the comfort and arch support based upon your preferences. The Empire has 3 arch options to give advance arch protection and pedaling performance without lost watts. Easton EC90 carbon fiber sole is lightweight and fairly thick at 6.5 mm for excellent power transfer and stability. The laces are lightweight with multiple lacing pattern options and are held in place with a stretch loop (on the tongue) to keep from getting tangled in the chain ring. I remember that all too well as a kid. It did take me a few times to get the laced tension perfect though, but wasn’t any different than adjusting the boas or velcro strap. The upper shoe is made from Tejin microfiber and is extremely lightweight and breathable. This is multiplied with targeted perforations for optimal ventilation. The X-static foot bed has the triple protection of reducing smell, bacteria and static. The heel cup is injection molded and has some slight movement with feeling to locked in place with gives you wiggle room to prevent hot spots and numbness. There are only 2 colors black and silver, but the blue is one my wish list. The Giro Empire is a incredible combination of your old laced gym shoes with every advance in material and technology. The power transfer is superior with a balanced fit and arch performance enhancement to keep you on the road and optimizing every watt you are capable of.
- One-piece Teijin upper with lace closure system
- EC90 Unidirectional carbon sole
- SuperNatural Fit foot bed with 3 adjustable arch support options
- Specifically Designed for Taylor Phinney, at Giro D ‘Italia and his two 4th places at London 2012
- X-Static foot bed that combines anti-microbial anti-odor, and anti-static
- Laces are protected in place from chainring with a stretch loop
- Old school laced shoes with lightweight materials
- Easton EC90 carbon fiber sole for excellent power transfer
- Moderately priced at around $250
- None except if you don’t like tying your shoes
- Unable to adjust laces while riding
THE BOTTOM LINE
The Giro Empire is a combination of your old laced shoes with every advance in material and technology. The power transfer is superior with a balanced fit and arch performance enhancement to keep you on the road and optimizing every watt you are capable of.